A 32-year-old man died at Tata Main Hospital in the small hours of Tuesday after suspected medicine poisoning.
Sudipto Sarkar, a chartered accountant (CA), was a resident of Shanti Tower at Aambagan in Sakchi. He had been brought to the hospital's emergency after an acute asthma attack around 9pm on Monday. He succumbed at 2.30am.
Doctors at TMH suspected drug poisoning and sought police help. The body has been sent to MGM Medical College for autopsy and an unnatural death case registered on the statement of Dilip Sarkar, the father of the deceased.
Sudipto was the only son of his parents and was appearing for company secretary (CS) examinations, besides being a qualified CA. So, family members insisted that he had no reason to be suicidal.
Assistant sub-inspector Nand Kumar Ram said when the youth was brought to the hospital's emergency on Monday night, he was still in his senses. "The doctors asked him whether he had taken pills or any poisonous substance. He replied that he was the only son of his parents and had no death wish. He, however, admitted to taking his regular asthma medicine," the police officer said.
Ram, who is the in-charge of TMH camp police station that functions under Bistupur thana, added that there were several unanswered questions in the case, which had made a post-mortem necessary.
According to friends, Sudipto had started taking his CS exams from December 30. The last paper is scheduled for Wednesday. "He had appeared for one of his exams even yesterday (Monday) and had told his uncle that he had done well," a friend said.
Sources revealed that Sudipto also had a heart ailment, which was detected only six months ago. They said he was on a concoction of medicines for both diseases, which might have led to his death.
In another incident, a 19-year-old homemaker hanged herself from a ceiling fan at her Nimdih home in Seraikela-Kharsawan district on Tuesday morning. Police said Sundara Gope had tied the knot only a year ago, but did not have a good relationship with her husband.