'My Wife is Fidayeen': Man Who Made Hoax Bomb Threat Call to Stop Wife From Leaving Country Arrested in Delhi

Team Latestly

New Delhi, August 17: Delhi Police's special cell on Saturday arrested a man who made a hoax bomb threat call claiming that his wife was a "fidayeen" (suicide bomber). The accused, identified as 29-year-old Nasiruddin, was arrested from Bawana locality in Delhi. Nasiruddin made a bomb threat call to Chennai airport earlier on August 8, forcing authorities to issue a red alert.

Also Read | Shah Faesal Shifted to Detention Centre at Centaur Hotel

On August 8, the accused had called the Control Room of the Delhi International Airport Limited (DIAL) and said his wife, identified as Zamina alias Rafiya, was carrying a bomb. He had told them that the bomb would explode on a Dubai or a Saudi Arabia-bound flight from Chennai. The call had sent security officials into a tizzy. However, the call turned out to be a hoax.

In a series of tweets, the Delhi Police said Nasiruddin is married to Zamina who was his employee. She wanted to leave the country to work in the gulf. The accused, who owns a bag manufacturing factory, tried to stop her. "When his attempts to stop Rafiya from leaving India failed, he called up DIAL with the bomb threat call to prevent her from boarding the intended flight," the police said.

Also Read | Shah Faesal, IAS-Turned-Kashmir Politician, Arrested at Delhi Airport Ahead of Flight to Istanbul

"He made a hoax call that one Zamina @ Rafiya was a bomber who would blow up either a Dubai or Saudi Arabia bound flight," read another tweet by the Delhi Police. Following his call, a red alert was issued at the Chennai airport on August 9 and security was beefed up. Passengers had to go through enhanced security checks at the airport.

After the call turned out to be a hoax, a criminal complaint was registered against the caller in Gurugram. A similar incident in Delhi was reported ahead of the Independence Day celebrations. The terminal 2 of the Indira Gandhi International Airport here received a bomb threat late night on Monday, which was later found to be a hoax.