White House on Alert After Suspicious Package Found on Grounds

The Secret Service and all other security forces have been deployed as a safety measure.

Tours were suspended at the White House on Tuesday and the Secret Service established a "security perimeter" after a man with a suspicious package approached a Secret Service officer near the presidential mansion, a spokeswoman said.

The unidentified man has been taken into custody and explosive disposal teams are on the scene. Secret Service spokeswoman Cathy Milhoan told reporters in the White House briefing room:

The package was being inspected. We separated the individual and the package. He is now in Secret Service custody. We established a security perimeter, so the media was moved in here and East Wing tours were temporarily suspended. All other activity in the White House continues as normal.

NBC News had earlier reported that the south lawn of the White House was on "lock down" due to the recovery of the package.

The US Secret Service had said earlier:

Secret Service investigating suspicious package near White House grounds. Road closures in effect.

The Secret Service had confirmed that it was investigating the issue, and have secured all necessary perimeters around the White House.

(With inputs from Reuters)

Join us on WhatsApp. Type “JOIN” and send to 9910181818