New York [U.S.], Mar. 24 (ANI): Following the security breach incident in which a man gained access to the White House grounds by jumping the fence, at least six Secret Service employees are expected to face disciplinary action.
On March 10th, a man jumped multiple fences and managed to stay on White House grounds for over 15 minutes before he was held beneath President Donald Trump's bedroom windows, however, Trump was in Florida at the time.
The suspect, 26-year-old Jonathan Tran, was found carrying two cans of mace and a letter for Trump. He was released on his own personal recognizance on the condition he be fitted with a GPS tracking device. He was allowed to go back to California but has to remain within 100 miles of his home in San Jose, stay away from the White House and remain in the US.
The employees facing action include officers from the uniformed division as well as special agents, reports CNN quoting a source from the Secret Service itself.
The source further told CNN the Secret Service's Office of Professional Responsibility is expected to recommend specific discipline for each employee involved within the next two weeks, adding those recommendations will then be turned over to the agency's Office of Integrity to make a final determination.
Earlier, the Secret Service said there were "lapses in security protocols" that allowed the fence jumping incident to occur, however, assuring that immediate steps had been taken to fix them. The steps included additional officers at posts, technology enhancements and additional response.
In a statement last week, the agency said: "The men and women of the Secret Service are extremely disappointed and angry in how the events of March 10 transpired." (ANI)