Gangster Vikas Dubey, who was accused of killing 8 personnel of the Uttar Pradesh police, was killed in an encounter on Friday morning. The incident came close on the heels of the killings of two of his aides — Prabhat Mishra and Amar Dubey.
In each of these cases, the police have said that the accused tried to escape, forcing them to fire in self-defence.
In Dubey’s case, the police claimed that the car that he was travelling in overturned before the gangster tried to escape. The Kanpur police was quoted by NDTVas saying, “Then Vikas Dubey grabbed a gun from an injured policeman and ran. The police team caught up and surrounded him and tried to get him to surrender, but he refused and started firing. The police had to fire back in self-defence.”
PTIreported that Dubey was the sixth man to die in a police encounter after the ambush he allegedly masterminded in Kanpur’s Bikru village on July 2, killing eight policemen who had come to arrest him.
Hours after the killing of Dubey, who was caught on Thursday after a massive hunt that spanned three states, questions are being raised on the veracity of statements being made by the Uttar Pradesh police about the encounters.
Another NDTV report bored holes into the police’s version of events — it said that the car that Vikas Dubey was travelling in had been switched and that the media vehicles that had been following the convoy were stopped 2 km away from where the incident happened. It also said that Dubey, a hardened criminal, was not wearing handcuffs.
Hours before the encounter, a Mumbai-based lawyer had approached the Supreme Court, warning that the gangster may be killed under the custody of the UP police.
The write petition, the copy of which was tweeted by Mumbai Mirror’s Sharmeen Haqeem, read, “There is every possibility that even accused Vikas Dubey shall be killed by the Uttar Pradesh police, like other...