Video: Suspected bomber coolly walks into church before deadly Sri Lanka explosion

The eerie moment a man believed to be one of the Sri Lanka bombers walks into a church before a deadly explosion has been caught on video.

The CCTV vision, obtained by local media TV9, shows a man wearing a backpack making his way through the crowds outside St Sebastian’s Church in Negombo, north of Colombo.

The news outlet claims the man is one of the suicide bombers responsible for the series of attacks.

The Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the Sri Lanka bombings through its Amaq news agency, Reuters reported on Tuesday, 23 April. At least 321 people have been killed and nearly 500 others have been injured in the Easter bombings that have been described as the deadliest incident of violence in the island nation since the civil war ended a decade ago.

More than 100 people were killed in the explosions that rocked the church.

As many as 10 Indians have been killed in the suicide bombings that struck three churches and three luxury hotels in Sri Lanka on Easter Sunday, 21 April.

This attack has been described as the island nation’s deadliest violence since a devastating civil war ended in 2009.

Earlier, Sri Lanka’s military has been given sweeping police powers in the wake of the Easter bombings, which killed at least 321 people and wounded nearly 500 others. Sri Lanka’s Minister of Defence has proposed banning the National Thowheed Jamath, the local jihadist outfit suspected of plotting the deadly blasts.

A senior Sri Lankan minister informed their parliament on Tuesday that the attacks were carried out by the local Islamic extremists in “retaliation for the mosque attacks in New Zealand’s Christchurch,” citing the initial probe result.

The suicide bombers hit three Colombo luxury hotels popular with foreign tourists – the Cinnamon Grand, the Shangri-La and the Kingsbury – and three churches, two in the Colombo region and one in the eastern city of Batticaloa.

The carnage, which also left some 500 people injured, was the worst atrocity since the South Asian country’s civil war ended a decade ago.

Twenty-four people have been arrested over the Easter Sunday assault, authorities said.