One of the first things that Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath promised after assuming charge on March 19 was to improve law and order scenario of the state. Little seems to have changed since which is evident from the incident where a woman was chased and shot dead inside a police station in Mainpuri on Monday (April 17) night over a land dispute.
The accused who shot the woman was caught by locals and beaten up before being arrested by the police along with 11 others.
HERE'S HOW THE CRIME UNFOLDED:
- The victim Fatima was involved in a land dispute with one Haji Khan. The disputed plot, which is said to be worth crores, is situated right infront of the Agra Gate police station.
- A fight erupted between the two families on Monday night. Several people from both sides joined in worsening the situation.
- As the fight escalated, Fatima ran towards the police station which is just a few yards away.
- A mob involving people from the rival family chased and fired at her right outside the police station. Fatima was rushed to a local hospital but couldn't survive.
- The policemen were outnumbered by the mob. The attacker and 11 others were arrested later.
- Mainpuri, which has been a pocket borough of the Samajwadi Party, is around 250km from state capital Lucknow.
- Immediately after taking oath, Uttar Pradesh chief minister Yogi Adityanath had asked police officials to change the way they work to instill a sense of safety among the public and fear among criminals.
- "The police must establish a direct communication with people and must take cognizance of even the most minor incident," Adityanath had said after a review meeting in Lucknow.