57.03 per cent turnout was registered till 5pm in the sixth phase of polling in Uttar Pradesh Assembly election today, the Election Commission has said.
In the sixth phase, apart from Samajwadi Party (SP) patron Mulayam Singh Yadav's Azamgarh Lok Sabha constituency, the other districts that went to polls were Mau, Gorakhpur, Maharajganj, Kushinagar, Deoria and Ballia.
The Samajwadi Party contested on 40 seats and Congress on 9 under the alliance, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on 45 seats and its ally Apna Dal on one. Another BJP partner Suheldev Bharatiya Samaj Party contested on 3 seats, and the Bahujan Samajwadi Party fielded candidates on all 49 seats.
Around 1.72 crore voters, including 94.60 lakh men and 77.84 lakh women, were eligible to cast their votes in this round to decide the fate of 635 candidates.
Here are the live updates:
- Approximate polling percentage recorded is 57.03 per cent as sixth phase of voting in Uttar Pradesh election ends.
- 7.85 per cent voting recorded till 1 pm in the sixth phase of UP elections 2017.
- 23 per cent voting till 11 am in 6th phase.
- Other parties have been in UP for far too long now but they haven't been able to bring any change: Rajyavardhan Rathore, BJP
- 11 per cent voting recorded till 9 am in the sixth phase of UP elections 2017.
- 10.7 per cent voting registered in Deoria till 9 am.
- 11 percent voting turnout in Azamgarh till 9 am.
- High polling recorded across Azamgarh in the initial hours.
- Voters especially youth coming out in good number. Voting peaceful so far.
- Defect reported in EVM machine at booth number 313 in Maharajganj.
- Problem in two EVMs at different booths in Kushinagar.
- Have not been able to cast my vote till now, my name is missing from the voters list: Voter at booth no.3705 in Gorakhpur #UttarPradeshpolls pic.twitter.com/KTWe4HNt8Z
- Special efforts made for differently abled voters, they are being assisted by volunteers and wheelchairs: Nikhil C Shukla, Mau District Magistrate.
- Voting on 49 seats across 7 districts in sixth phase underway.
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath casts his vote at a booth in Gorakhpur
- Today is the first phase of the Manipur Assembly polls. I appeal to voters in the seats polling today to turnout in record numbers & vote.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi tweets appealing people to participate in the polling.