Kanpur, April 2: A suspected ammonia gas leak at a cold storage facility in Uttar Pradesh’s Fatehpur district on Sunday night led the police to evacuate villagers living in Jahanabad area, news agency ANI reported. Around 42 labourers were working in the unit and many are feared to be trapped inside the facility.
Around 2 km of the area has been evacuated and at the time when this report was filed fire brigade has not reached the spot. Area Superintendent of Police Umesh Singh while taking to Times Now said, there are no reports of any casualty and a wall has collapsed. Umesh Singh further added that the fire brigade officials are called on the spot and other agencies have been alerted to the situation.
Experts have been called from Kanpur and meanwhile, the police officials claim to have controlled the situation. The area has been cordoned by the police and all vehicular movements withing two kilometres of the cold storage unit has been put on hold.
Umesh Singh also confirmed that the police has safely evacuated the area and right now they are getting in touch with the owner of cold storage to find an exact number of people present at the facility. He also said that the leak was reported at around 10:00 pm after which police had reached the spot
Inhalation of ammonia gas can cause severe irritation to eyes, nose and throat, and lead to a fatal buildup of fluid in the lungs. Symptoms can develop even hours after exposure.
The spot is located around 80 km from Kanpur and it will take around 2 hours for experts to reach the spot.
Watch Video Here:
This is developing story, more details are awaited…