After scouring the waters for the objects spotted by satellites that had raised hopes that they belonged to the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, the US Navy said its aircraft had not been able to find anything yet to confirm the images.
Its P-8A Poseidon aircraft had completed its flight over the target area and found nothing. Other aircraft are also heading in, a tweet from NBC News said.
The Australian Maritime Safety Authority (Amsa) has also tweeted that the Australian Air Force's P-3C Orion crew had been unable to locate debris. The tweet noted that clouds and rain had limited the visibility in the area. It also noted that more aircrafts continue the search for the missing plane.
Amsa officials told ABC News that the satellite sighting was the best lead at this stage in the investigation.
John Young with the Amsa’s Emergency Response Division told ABC News that the updates have been deemed "credible enough to divert resources to this area".
The largest of the objects spotted on satellite is about 24 metres long, he added.
"This is a lead, it is probably the best lead we have right now," Young was quoted as saying.
According to ABC News, officials are stressing caution despite the latest developments, saying the objects might not be related to flight 370.
The search for the Malaysian jet is the longest in modern passenger-airline history. The previous record was the 10-day search for a Boeing 737-400 operated by Indonesia’s PT Adam Skyconnection Airlines, which went missing off the coast of that country’s Sulawesi island on January 1, 2007. – March 20, 2014.