UK’s Prince Philip to retire from public engagements

IANS Feeds
UK’s Prince Philip to retire from public engagements

London, May 4 (IANS) Prince Philip, 95-year-old husband of Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II, is retiring from royal duties, Buckingham Palace announced on Thursday.

The Palace said in a statement it was the Duke’s decision taken with the support of the Queen.

“His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh has decided that he will no longer carry out public engagements from the autumn of this year. In taking this decision, the Duke has the full support of the Queen,” a statement said.

The Duke, who turns 96 next month, will attend previously scheduled engagements between now and August but will not accept new invitations, BBC reported.

The Queen “will continue to carry out a full programme of official engagements”, the palace said.

Prince Philip carried out 110 days of engagements in 2016.

He is patron, President or a member of more than 780 organisations and will continue to be associated with them, but “will no longer play an active role by attending engagements”, Buckingham Palace said.

In the statement, the palace spokesman said the Duke “may still choose to attend certain public events from time to time”.

On Thursday, Prince Philip and the Queen are due at a service for members of the Order of Merit at the Chapel Royal at St. James’s Palace before hosting a lunch for those attending.

The Duke and the Queen celebrate their 70th wedding anniversary in November.

This is published unedited from the IANS feed.