French School Shooter Inspired by Mass Killing Videos, Injures 3

Authorities believe there is no reason to suspect the attack is related to terror.

A shooting reportedly took place on Thursday at a high school in the small southern French town of Grasse, injuring three people, a police source said.

The police official said the school principal and two others were shot by a 17-year-old student. The teenaged student opened fire after he had watched American-style mass shooting videos, the interior ministry said.

French Interior Ministry SpokesmanThe first investigations suggest he had consulted videos of American-style mass killings.

Interior ministry spokesman Pierre-Henry Brandet said that along with the three injured, five other people were in shock after the teenager opened fire with the rifle. None of the injuries are life-threatening.

The youth, who was also carrying two handguns and two grenades, was arrested at the school. A police source said the attacker did not seem to be known to police.

Police surrounded the area around the Alexis de Tocqueville school in the southern French town of Grasse.

Checks were underway to establish whether there was a second assailant. Authorities believe there is no reason to suspect the attack is related to terror, although police are working to "remove all doubt", the police source said.

Local emergency services advised residents on Twitter to stay at home. The government had earlier launched its mobile telephone application warning of a "terrorist" attack.

(With inputs from media agencies.)

Also Read: Letter Bomb Explodes at IMF Headquarters in Paris, One Injured