BJP's Trivendra Singh Rawat took oath as Uttarakhand Chief Minister today, a week after the BJP registered a landslide victory by winning 56 seats in the recent Assembly election in the hill state.
Rawat, who was elected as leader of BJP legislative party on Friday, took oath at the parade grounds in state capital Dehradun. He took the oath in presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
"Trivendra Singh Rawat is a leader who has both organisational and ministerial experience. He is perfectly equipped to give the state the kind of leadership it needs," in-charge of the party's affairs in the state Shyam Jaju said.
HERE ARE THE LIVE UPDATES:
- Prakash Pant, Harak Singh Rawat, Madan Kaushik sworn in as Uttarakhand cabinet ministers
Dehradun: BJP's Satpal Maharaj takes oath as Uttarakhand cabinet minister pic.twitter.com/glv5L4eK2E- ANI (@ANI_news) March 18, 2017
- Amit Shah, Rajnath Singh, JP Nadda, Uma Bharti also arrive to attend oath taking ceremony of Trivendra Singh Rawat
- Trivendra Singh Rawat to take oath as Uttarakhand Chief Minister shortly, Harish Rawat also present
- Uttarakhand: PM Modi arrives in Dehradun; will attend swearing in ceremony of CM designate Trivendra Singh Rawat later
Rawat was party's top choice from amid the top office bearers like Prakash Pant and Satpal Maharaj, who were the ones to suggest his name.
"Providing people of the state with a corruption free government and bringing about a major change in the lives of the poorest of the poor as targeted by the Prime Minister will be our priority," Rawat told reporters.
Rawat-led BJP won 56 out of 70 seats in the Uttarakhand Assembly elections, the results of which were announced on March 11.
WHO IS TRIVENDRA RAWAT?
- Rawat is the eighth Chief Minister of the hill state.
- Born in the family serving armed forces in December 1960, Rawat is an RSS veteran since 1979.
- He became a member of the RSS at the age of 19 and is known for his fierce loyalty to the BJP and has never shifted allegiance to any other party.
- Rawat was an organisational secretary of the state BJP when the state was formed on November 9, 2000. He was the Agriculture Minister in the previous BJP government.
- He served as the state cabinet minister in 2007.
- Rawat was in charge of the Jharkhand BJP and is credited with the impressive victory of the party in the 2014 assembly elections there.
- He was elected from Doiwala constituency of Dehradun district this election. Rawat has a record of winning all three times he has contested from this seat.
- In 2012, he shifted his constituency to Raipur in Dehradun.
- During his stint as agriculture minister in the Uttarakhand's previous BJP government (2007-12), Rawat was allegedly embroiled in a seed scandal. However, he denied charges.
- This election, Rawat won the Doiwala seat from Congress with a margin of 24,869 votes.
- The first challenge that stares Uttarakhand chief minister-designate Trivendra Singh Rawat in the face is how to chose his Cabinet