Two terrorists and a policeman were killed today in an encounter in Tral in South Kashmir's Pulwama district.
Tral happens to the hometown of Burhan Wani, the Hizbul Mujahideen commander whose death sparked violent protests in Kashmir last year.
Police sources said that the encounter between militants and security forces which started late on Saturday evening ended after 15 hours, however, combing operation was still underway.
Sources said two policemen ,two CRPF personnel and an army major were also injured in the gunfight. They are being treated at army hospital in Srinagar.
HERE'S EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Top Hizbul Mujahideen(HM) commmander Aaqib Maulvi was killed along with Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Muhammad (JeM) terrorist Osama in Tral area of south Kashmir's Pulwama district. on Sunday. Aqib is from Awantipura.
- The operation exposes the tie-up between different terror groups: in this case, the nexus between the HM and JeM to take on security forces in valley. Both terrorists were holed up in a residential area.
- The house was partially blown up with a powerful IED to neutralise the terrorists.
- Following specific information received by JK police about a group of militants hiding in the Hafoo Nazneepora area of Tral town in south Kashmir, security forces launched a joint operation.
- 42 Rashtriya Rifles, the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and the Special Operations Group (SOG), closed in on the hiding militants, the insurgents opened indiscriminate fire.
- A Special Operation Group (SOG) policeman identified as Manzoor Ahmad Naik was martyred and three security personnel, including an army major, were injured in an encounter with militants.
- Terrorist created a smokescreen, conveying to their sympathisers to get locals to stone pelt forces conveying that HM commander was trapped with the other militant.
- As the result of the smokescreen, the forces initially faced resistance as they marched towards the encounter site to cordon the village. They encountered severe stone-pelting at several places.
- One miscreant hit an Assistant Sub-inspector, and snatched his weapon before disappearing into the crowd. A separate operation is on to recover the weapon.
- The CRPF called in reinforcements after facing resistance. The protest was quelled. The operation ended this morning.