Top U.S. Senators shoot down Trump's wiretap claim

New York [U.S.], Mar. 17 (ANI): Top U.S. Senator including the speaker of the House and the ranking Democrat on the committee have stated that no evidence has been found in regards to President Donald Trump's accusation that he was wiretapped last year by his predecessor Barack Obama.

Senate Intelligence Committee chair Richard Burr and ranking member Mark Warner issued a statement Thursday, saying "based on the information available to us, we see no indications that Trump Tower was the subject of surveillance by any element of the United States government either before or after Election Day 2016."

The statement is a clear signs of the refutation of Trump's allegations since the President first made them two weeks ago.

However, the White House has noted that the statement did not shake their confidence in the accusation, as Press secretary Sean Spicer highlighted intelligence agencies' interest in Trump's activities, even though none actually corroborated Trump's claim.

Their statement came hours after House Speaker Paul Ryan said that "no such wiretap existed," citing intelligence reports to House leaders.

"The intelligence committees, in their continuing, widening, ongoing investigations of all things Russia, got to the bottom -- at least so far with respect to our intelligence community -- that no such wiretap existed," Ryan said in response to a question from CNN at a news conference. (ANI)