Top-ranked doubles player Robert Farah provisionally suspended by International Tennis Federation pending disciplinary hearing

The Associated Press

London: Top-ranked doubles player Robert Farah was provisionally suspended by the International Tennis Federation on Tuesday pending a disciplinary hearing into his positive doping test.

The ITF formally imposed the suspension hours after the Australian Open began.

Farah had been due to play in Melbourne with long-time doubles partner Juan Sebastian Cabal until announcing his doping case last week. The pair won the last two Grand Slam titles at Wimbledon and the US Open.

Farah denies wrongdoing and blamed his positive test for the steroid Boldenone on eating contaminated meat in his native Colombia.

The ITF said Farah did not challenge the provisional suspension from playing. No timetable was given to process the case.

The 32-year-old Farah and Cabal were the ATP's doubles team of the year in 2019.

Cabal has been playing with Jaume Munar of Spain at the Australian Open.

Also See: Australian Open 2020: Men's doubles world No 1 Robert Farah opts out of tournament citing personal reasons

Men’s doubles world number one Robert Farah says he tested positive for banned substance Boldenona

Chilean tennis star Nicolas Jarry suspended for doping violations at Davis Cup finals

Read more on Sports by Firstpost.