Multitalented and modest Mans Zelmerlow, winner of Sweden's sixth Eurovision Song Contest, is not the sort of guy to throw in the towel. The 28-year-old singer and musician failed to get into music college and was twice rejected to represent Sweden in Eurovision, succeeding on his third attempt in March. Speaking in Vienna after narrowly beating Russia's Polina Gagarina in Eurovision, he said that he was sure someone else would win.
- Sweden's never-give-up Eurovision … AFP - 4 hours ago
- Tennis: 2015 French Open - 10 facts AFP - 5 hours ago
- The top men's seed has won the title on just 13 occasions in the 47 Roland Garros tournaments played since 1968. This is the least successful performance by the top seed at any of the Grand Slam events. The number one seed has won the title at Roland Garros on just two occasions in the last 13 years, with Rafael Nadal triumphing in 2011 and 2014.
- Tennis: Federer brings curtain up on … AFP - 5 hours ago
Roger Federer begins his 62nd consecutive Grand Slam tournament at the French Open on Sunday against a man who once almost condemned him to his worst loss at a major. The second seeded Swiss takes centre stage on the opening day of Roland Garros when he faces Alejandro Falla of Colombia. Falla, who only squeezed into the main draw as a "lucky loser" from qualifying, famously led Federer by two sets to love in the first round at Wimbledon in 2010 before the great Swiss fought back to win in five.
- AFP Sports Schedule for Sunday, May … AFP - 5 hours ago
AFP Sports Schedule for Sunday, May 24:
- AFP World News Agenda AFP - 8 hours ago
What's happening around the world on Sunday:
- Clock ticks but fortune smiles for Federer … Associated Press - 8 hours ago
- AFP Europe News Agenda AFP - 9 hours ago
What's happening in Europe on Sunday:
- Stosur wins first title this year in … Associated Press - 10 hours ago
STRASBOURG, France (AP) — Third-seeded Samantha Stosur rallied to beat Kristina Mladenovic 3-6, 6-2, 6-3 in the final of the Strasbourg International on Saturday, claiming her first title of the year.
- French Open at a glance Associated Press - 12 hours ago
PARIS (AP) — A glance at the French Open, the year's second Grand Slam tennis tournament:
- Tennis: Stosur warms up for Paris with … AFP - 13 hours ago
Former French Open finalist Samantha Stosur, warmed up for her bid in Paris this year, by defeating French player Kristina Mladenovic 3-6, 6-2, 6-3 to win the WTA Strasbourg Open on Saturday. The 31-year-old Australian, who defeated Serena Williams to win the 2011 US Open, picks up her seventh individual title after outlasting Mladenovic on the east coast of France.
- Tennis: ATP Nice Open results AFP - 13 hours ago
Result from the ATP Nice Open on Saturday (x denotes seeded player):
- Tennis: WTA Nuremberg Cup results AFP - 13 hours ago
WTA Nuremberg Cup result on Saturday (x denotes seeded player):
- Tennis: Geneva ATP results AFP - 13 hours ago
Result from the ATP Geneva Open on Saturday (x denotes seeded player):
- Tennis: WTA Strasbourg results AFP - 13 hours ago
Result from the WTA Strasbourg Open on Saturday (x denotes seed):
- Tennis: Knapp wins second WTA title AFP - 14 hours ago
Italy's Karin Knapp, the world number 48, defeated her compatriot Roberta Vinci 7-6 (7/5), 4-6, 6-1 to win the WTA Nuremburg Cup and her second career title on Saturday. The win comes on the eve of Roland Garros which begins in Paris on Sunday. Knapp achieved her best ever Grand Slam result in Paris last year when she reached the third round.