Rainouts at Arthur Ashe Stadium will be history after this year's US Open, thanks to a new retractable roof whose 5,000-ton steel structure looms over the huge tennis venue. "For the 2015 US Open, the fans will see the entire fixed portion of the roof, nearly everything but the two retractable portions," said Daniel Zausner, chief operating officer of the National Tennis Center. Rain has struck time and again in recent years to spark the roof decision, along with other Grand Slam events spending the money for main-court coverings.
- Tennis: New Ashe roof structure looms … AFP - 12 minutes ago
- US Open fans get break from sun, but … Associated Press - 27 minutes ago
- Sania Mirza dedicates Khel Ratna award … ANI - 1 hour 2 minutes ago
New Delhi, Aug. 28 (ANI): World No. 1 Tennis doubles player Sania Mirza on Friday expressed her happiness at being awarded with the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna and dedicated the honour to her family and to India. "I feel very happy, privileged and honoured to receive this award and I would like to dedicate it to the people of India and my family," Mirza told ANI here. The World No. 1 also extended her gratitude to the Indian government and the Sports Ministry who nominated her for the award.
- Bajwa, Pandole in junior tennis title … IANS - 7 hours ago
Chennai, Aug 28 (IANS) Paramveer Singh Bajwa and Rian Pandole entered the final of the boys under-18 singles final in the YMCA-TTT ITF junior tennis tournament here on Friday with contrasting victories.
- Bisht to take on Nagal in tennis fi … IANS - 7 hours ago
Chennai, Aug 28 (IANS) Ronit Singh Bisht and Sumit Nagal, both unseeded, extended their dream run by reaching the final of the Powerpak ITF men's Futures tennis tournament here on Friday.
- Doubles trouble in family tennis comedy … Reuters - 8 hours ago
Actors Jeremy Sisto and David Walton serve up a doubles dose of the game in "Break Point", a family reconciliation comedy about estranged siblings who reunite for a tennis tournament. "Six Feet Under" actor Sisto, portrays washed-up doubles tennis player Jimmy who tries to convince his brother Darren, played by "About a Boy" actor Walton to play with him. "For doubles tennis, it lends itself perfectly towards two characters who operate very differently and have to get over some stuff and learn how to be a team," Sisto, also a producer and co-writer of the film, said at the premiere on Thursday.
- Djokovic, Nadal could square off in … IANS - 11 hours ago
- A look at Serena Williams' possible … Associated Press - 12 hours ago
- Nadal refuses to play with Kyrgios at … ANI - 13 hours ago
Melbourne, Aug 28 (ANI): Former world number one Rafael Nadal has reportedly refused to play with controversial Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios in a doubles match at John McEnroe's charity event.
- AFP Graphics Advisory AFP - 13 hours ago
- Tennis: Second-seeded Anderson into … AFP - 16 hours ago
Second-seeded South African Kevin Anderson powered into the semi-finals of the US Open tune-up tournament at Winston-Salem on Thursday with 6-2, 7-6 (7/1) win over Borna Coric. Anderson improved to 6-0 in quarter-final matches in 2015, firing 10 aces and never facing a break point in the 82-minute triumph. In Friday's semi-finals Anderson will play unseeded Tunisian Malek Jaziri, who upset sixth-seeded Brazilian Thomaz Bellucci 6-3, 6-2.
- US OPEN 2015: Capsules on top women's … Associated Press - 16 hours ago
- Tennis: ATP Winston-Salem results - … AFP - 16 hours ago
Results from the fifth day of the ATP hardcourt tournament at Winston-Salem on Thursday (x denotes seeded player):
- Federer's magic. Sharapova's style. … Associated Press - 17 hours ago
- Tennis: Wozniacki, Kvitova set New Haven … AFP - 17 hours ago
Kvitova, the second seed, rallied from 5-3 down in the opening set to beat seventh-seeded Agnieszka Radwanska of Poland 7-5, 6-4. Denmark's Wozniacki, seeded third, overcame an early break of serve, winning 11 of the next 13 games in an emphatic 6-3, 6-0 victory over France's Caroline Garcia. Wozniacki, who has been troubled by back and calf injuries this season, did much of her damage with an unexpected barrage of forehand winners.