Taekwondo player shot dead by man she refused to marry

The victim, Sarita Dhandhi.
The victim, Sarita Dhandhi.

A 25-year-old state-level taekwondo player was Tuesday shot dead by a man after she rejected his marriage proposal. Police said they had lodged two FIRs against the man in the past five months after the woman alleged he had assaulted and threatened her. He was arrested after the first FIR was filed on June 17, but was later released on bail.

The victim, Sarita Dhandhi, had competed in state-level events and was pursuing a bachelor’s degree in physical education from Gurgaon. Preet Pal, ACP (Crime), said Dhandhi met the accused, Sombir Singh (27), a former wrestler, six years ago in Rohtak, while she was training for a state-level competition.

On Tuesday, Singh reached Dhandhi’s house around 4 am with a country-made pistol.

“She was sleeping but he barged into her bedroom and held a gun to her head, asking her to marry him. Her mother tried to intervene, but he threatened her as well and asked her to convince Dhandhi to get married to him. When Dhandhi refused, he shot her in the chest,” a senior police officer said. “He escaped by jumping the wall of their house.”

Dhandhi lived with her parents, two sisters and a younger brother in Bhora Khurd village in Bilaspur. Her father died few months ago. Police said Dhandhi, who had won five state-level competitions from Rohtak, wanted to become a coach and was looking for a job.

ACP Pal said they first received a call from a villager. “We went to the spot and saw blood outside the victim’s house. The neighbours told us she had been rushed to the Rockland Hospital in Manesar, where doctors declared her dead. Her mother accused Singh of the crime.”

Police said Singh knew the woman since they had previously trained at the same institute in Rohtak six years ago. On June 17, she had filed a case of criminal intimidation against him. He was then arrested and later released on bail. “On August 23, he again went to the woman’s house and asked her to marry him, but she and her parents refused as he was unemployed. He then attacked the woman and threatened her. Dhandhi again filed a complaint and a case of criminal intimidation and assault was registered at Bilaspur police station, but he was not arrested,” said a police officer.

“Singh hails from Jhajjar and his parents had filed a missing persons report about him a few months ago at Badli police station. For the past year, the man had been harassing the woman and her family; he wanted her to accept his proposal,” said Pal.