Cente today released the list of cleanest cities of the country as a part of Swachh Survekshan Survey.
Every year, cities and towns across India are awarded with the title of 'Swachh Cities' on the basis of their cleanliness and sanitation drive as a part of the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan.
Venkaiah Naidu, Union Urban development minister, released the list, which was finalised by the Quality Council of India based on the level of cleaniless in 434 cities.
Topping the list is Indore in Madhya Pradesh while Gonda in Uttar Pradesh is the dirtiest city.
Bhopal, another city from MP, ranked second, Visakhapatnam in Andhra Pradesh and Surat in Gujarat have emerged as the third and fourth cleanest cities.
- M Venkaiah Naidu (@MVenkaiahNaidu) May 4, 2017
- M Venkaiah Naidu (@MVenkaiahNaidu) May 4, 2017 funfacts
HERE IS ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- In comparison to the rankings of 2016, the top six cities--Indore, Bhopal, Visakhapatnam, Surat, Tirupati and Vadodara-- have improved their sanitation rankings.
- Gujarat has maximum of 12 cities among top 50 clean cities followed by Madhya Pradesh with 11 and Andhra Pradesh with eight.
- Uttar Pradesh's Gonda dirtiest city, preceeded by Bhusawal in Maharashtra are the dirtiest cities according to the cleanliness survey.
- 50 of the 62 cities/towns surveyed in UP are ranked at 305 and below. UP's 41 cities and towns are among the bottom 100 cities. Only saving grace is Varanasi at rank 32.
- 19 of 27 cities and towns surveyed in Bihar are ranked beyond 300 with best rank in the state being 147 for Biharsharif.
- The Quality Council of India deployed 421 assessors for on the spot assessment of 17,500 locations in 434 cities and towns. In addition to that, 55 persons were appointed to regularly monitor the survey process real time.
- The criteria of the rankings are as follows: 45 per cent marks for open defecation free, solid waste management, education and capacity building, another 25 per cent marks for field inspection and 30 per cent for citizen feedback. At least 18 lakh citizens across the cities gave their feedback about the sanitation in their respective cities and towns.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi's constituency Varanasi has been named India's Fastest Moving City with more than 10 lakh population
- In 2015 and 2016, Mysuru had topped the list of cleanest cities with Dhanbad in Jharkhad being the dirtiest.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi had launched Swachh Bharat campaign in 2014 and this cleanliness survey was to check which states have taken PM's campaign seriously.