For someone who does not meditate regularly, sitting for hours on end with an ‘empty mind’ might seem ridiculous, but meditation is a skill that is difficult to master. Meditation involves focusing your mind and essentially emptying it of all thoughts.
Meditation can help you reduce stress, focus on your tension areas, make you calmer and even reduce what most people call ‘brain chatter’.
Most people who want to start meditation are not sure where or how to start. So we have prepared a step-by-step guide to help you make your way to a stress-free mind.
How to Start Meditation at Home
1. Take some time out of your busy schedule: Taking some time out of your schedule to meditate is extremely important. Even two to three minutes of meditation is a welcome change from a busy lifestyle.
2. Find a comfortable and quiet place to sit: Before meditating make sure you found a comfortable spot. Meditating in a place with distractions and disturbances can be pointless.
3. Close your eyes & try to clear your mind: As difficult as it may sound, try to clear up your mind as much as possible. Try to put all thoughts on hold for at least a minute or two. Chanting a specific phrase or word can also help you to concentrate.
4. Start with small intervals: For beginners, meditating at a stretch of 10 or 20 minutes can be extremely difficult and your minds tends to wander. Try meditating for 2 or 3 minutes in the beginning and keep adding 2 minutes to your session every week.
5. Relax your body: Try and identify your core tension and stress areas and try to relax them. Relaxing your body is important for meditation. Gently massaging your temples, or shoulders is effective.
6. Focus on your breathing: Focusing on the process of inhaling and exhaling as you breathe or noticing how your chest rises an falls can help you concentrate. It is important to note that you should not attempt to control your breathing. It is important that you keep breathing naturally.
7. Find your comfort zone: Meditation can mean different things to everyone, do what relaxes you. Try out different meditation techniques before you find your footing. You can also use various apps to help you meditate and guide you through the process.
8. Consult a professional: If you feel like you are having difficulty meditating, then you can always consult a professional or attend yoga and meditation classes.
Meditation is an excellent method to keep you physically and mentally healthy. There are various techniques and methods of meditation which can prove to be extremely beneficial for your well being.
. Read more on Fit by The Quint.RSS & BJP’s Nehru-Netaji ‘Cosplay’: Irony Dies a Thousand DeathsTrump Threatens to Raise Chinese Tariffs to 25%, Asian Stocks Fall . Read more on Fit by The Quint.