2 LeT militants behind failed Srinagar CRPF camp attack killed after 30-hour gun battle

1 / 1

2 LeT militants behind failed Srinagar CRPF camp attack killed after 30-hour gun battle

The gunbattle between the security forces and the militants in Srinagar has finally ended after 30 hours.

The gun battle between the security forces and Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) militants finally ended today.

Two LeT militants involved in a terror bid inside a CRPF camp in Srinagar's Karan Nagar area, were killed after a 30-hour-long gun battle.

"While one was gunned down as he came out of the under-construction building to get into another adjacent building, the other was trapped and killed inside the building that they took refuge in on Monday," a police officer said.

The exact identity of the militants was still being established, the police said, adding that a search operation in the area was going on.

"While the operation was planned, all the civilian population was removed from there. It was a clean operation as we could complete the operation without any collateral damage," said SP Pani, Inspector General of Police-Kashmir.

Jammu and Kashmir Deputy Chief Minister Nirmal Singh said that the attackers came from South Kashmir.

"It is the desperation of Pakistan. They are pushing terrorists this side. All infiltrators are basically Pakistanis," he said.

The Lashkar militants took shelter inside a building which was under-construction a day ago after an alert sentry at the observation post of the 23rd battalion of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) spotted them and fired, in order to avoid a possible terror attack on the CRPF camp.

Militants were carrying backpacks and AK-47 rifles and were forced to withdraw. They were later trapped inside the building from where they started the gun battle.

A CRPF trooper was killed during the gunfight on Monday, while a constable of the Special Operations Group (SOG) of the Jammu and Kashmir Police was injured, but is now out of danger, Pani confirmed.

The attempted terror bid on the CRPF camp came close on the heels of the Sunjuwan military camp attack, in which seven persons, including six soldiers and a civilian, were killed.

With inputs from IANS

Also watch: Day 2: Gun battle between security forces and LeT terrorists continues in Srinagar