Kolkata, April 29: Kolkata-based model turned actress Sonika Chauhan died on Saturday morning in a car crash. The incident took place on Saturday morning when the car she was travelling with her friend, actor Vikram Chatterjee, hit the divider and climbed the pavement on Rashbehari Avenue, in Kolkata. Actor Vikramjeet Chatterjee who was behind the wheels also faced severe injuries and was admitted to a hospital.
According to a report, bystanders who were present at the spot heard the crashing noise and rushed to the spot and brought the couple out of the car. The duo was travelling in a Toyota Coralla Altis, which had been completely wrecked in the accident. The accident took place at around 4 am in the morning and some reports suggest that the couple were on their way for a morning walk.
Soon after Sonika and Vikram were brought out of the car, they were rushed to a nearby hospital, where she was pronounced dead on arrival. Vikram who faced head injuries was discharged from the hospital but later he has admitted again after he complained of discomfort. The body of Sonika has been sent for post-mortem.
The police officials had also started to investigate the case, as questions are being raised on whether the car had broken speed limits.
The news came as a shocker for Bengali film industry. Many Bengali film actors including Dev rushed to the hospital immediately after the news broke out.
Here are some facts about Sonika Chauhan:
- Sonika Chauhan was a well-known model in India’s fashion industry. She was a well-known face in Kolkata as well as Mumbai.
- Sonika used to host a popular prime-time show on a national channel while Vikram was a participant of Bengali version of Bigg Boss.
- Sonika also tried her hands in anchoring and was one of the hosts of Pro Kabaddi league.
- Sonika completed her school from La Martiniere Girls High School and became part of Miss Diva competition in 2013.
- Sonika had also won the miss popular award in the competition.
Watch Video: Bengali actor Bikram Chattopadhyay injured in car mishap, model Sonika Chauhan killed
On the other side, Vikram is also a well-known face in Bengali film industry. His last film was Khoj (The Lost) which was screened at several film festivals.
(Video Courtesy: Asia News International)