Shinzo Abe's India visit LIVE: Modi, Japan PM visit Sabarmati Ashram, Sidi Saiyyed mosque
The Japanese PM will inaugurate his Indian counterpart Narendra Modi's ambitious bullet train project in Ahmedabad on Thursday.
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe landed in Ahmedabad on a two-day visit to India. He was received at the airport by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Shinzo Abe will be visiting Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar.
The Japanese PM will inaugurate his Indian counterpart Narendra Modi's ambitious bullet train project in Ahmedabad on Thursday (September 14).
HERE ARE THE LATEST UPDATES:
- PM Modi is accompanying the Japan PM to the iconic Sidi Saiyyed Mosque in the eastern part of Ahmedabad famous for its intricate stone lattice work.
- Japanese PM Shinzo Abe and his wife Akie Abe sign the visitor's book at Sabarmati Ashram
- Modi and Abe have reached the Sabarmati Ashram in Ahmedabad.
- Shinzo Abe, who is accompanied by his wife Akie Abe, has a hectic schedule for the next two days in Modi's home state, including laying of the foundation stone for India's first bullet train, to be run between Ahmedabad and Mumbai, and to attend the 12th Indo-Japan Summit.
- Robust security arrangements have been put in place for the 12th Indo-Japan Summit and business meet where Japanese companies are likely to announce major investments in Gujarat.
- People line the streets as the cavalcade of Modi and Abe pass through Ahmedabad.
- Abe and his wife changed into Indian attire for the roadshow.
- PM Modi and Japanese PM Shinzo Abe begin road show to Sabarmati Ashram in Ahmedabad.
- PM Modi receives Shinzo Abe with his trademark hug.
- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe lands in Ahmedabad.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrives in Ahmedabad to receive Japanese PM Shinzo Abe.
- The Japanese PM will be accorded a grand welcome in Ahmedabad. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be in Ahmedabad to receive Abe. The two leaders would then take a tour of Ahmedabad during an 8-km-long roadshow.
- To welcome Shinzo Abe, the twin cities of Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar have been decked up with shimmering fluorescent lights, and hoardings and banners on streets. September 12, 2017
- This is the tenth meeting between the Prime Ministers of both nations.
- The mosque is also known as Sidi Saiyyed ki Jali. The architectural marvel was built in 1573 and is located near the center of Ahmedabad Lal Darwaja.
- Modi and Abe would then visit Sabarmati Ashram and iconic Sidi Saiyyed Mosque in the eastern part of the city famous for its intricate stone lattice work. The two leaders would also have dinner at 'Agashiye' restaurant located near the mosque.
- On Thursday, Abe and Modi will lay the foundation stone for the high-speed bullet train project between Ahmedabad and Mumbai which is expected to be completed by 2022.