Seattle shooting: One killed and seven injured as gunman opens fire outside McDonald’s

Zoe Tidman
A crime-scene investigator inspects the scene of a shooting that left one person dead and seven injured, including a child, in downtown Seattle: AFP via Getty Images

One person has died and seven people have been injured in a mass shooting outside a McDonald's in the US, according to authorities.

A nine-year-old boy is among those wounded after multiple people opened fire following an argument in central Seattle on Wednesday afternoon, authorities have said.

“This was not a random incident," Carmen Best, the police chief, said. "There was a dispute that happened in front of the McDonald's.”

“People pulled out guns, shots rang out," she said. "People ran in various directions.”

Harold Scoggins, the city's fire chief, said one woman was found dead on arrival. Five people were found with injuries at the scene and were taken to hospital, he said.

A local hospital reported two others wounded in the shooting later turned up separately for treatment, according to Mr Scoggins.

He said the injured nine-year-old is in serious condition and another woman is in critical condition, while the other patients are stable.

Police said multiple people fled the scene after opening fire outside the McDonald's, which sits between 3rd avenue and Pine Street in Seattle, Washington.

An investigation is underway to gather more information about the suspects, they said.

No arrests have been made so far.

A man identified only as Bill told local station KOMO-TV he heard gunfire and saw around 100 people running away in terror as he watched the scene unfold from an upstairs office window.

"It was sheer panic," he said. "I've never seen anything like it."

Jenny Durkan, the Seattle mayor, said: "We mourn a tragedy like this wherever it occurs.

"No one should face such violence, and it impacts all of us when it occurs in the heart of our city."

On Wednesday, a man died in another shooting which took place nearby, according to police.

Ms Best, the city's police chief, said: "Even one incident of gun violence is one too many. We will relentlessly investigate tonight’s shooting at 3rd and Pine until all those responsible are brought to justice.

"In the meantime, expect to see police officers on this block until further notice."

Additional reporting by Reuters

Read more

Teenager arrested after family shot dead in their Utah home

Three nightclub shootings across the US in one night

One killed and 15 injured in mass shooting at Kansas nightclub