The Indian fitness industry has grown tremendously in the last two decades. From personal training to sports and nutrition, general awareness about fitness has increased significantly.
Bodybuilding in India is organised and the national federation is internationally recognised. Bodybuilders from the country have competed in many international events and represent India with much pride.
Mukesh Singh Gehlot
Mukesh Singh Gehlot is an Indian bodybuilder and powerlifter who has represented India in many international competitions. He is among the few who are active both in bodybuilding and powerlifting. He has won many medals for India and also has a national record for winning the Mr India title four times – in 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2012.
- Two gold medals at British Open Powerlifting Championship 2012
- One gold medal at World Powerlifting Championship 2013
- Silver medal at Asian Bodybuilding Championship 2012
- One bronze medal at Olympia, 2017 Pro Powerlifting Division
- Gold medal at World Powerlifting Championship, England 2016
Sangram Chougule is a 39-year-old Indian bodybuilder from Kohlapur. He is settled in Pune. He is an electrical engineer by education. He won the title of Mr Universe in Thailand in 85 kg category. Here are the achievements accomplished by Sangram Chougule:
- Won Mr Universe at WBPF World Championship 2012 and 2014 in 85 kg category.
- Has won Mr India title six times in the year 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 (two times) and 2015.
Murli Kumar used to work in the Indian Navy before switching careers to bodybuilding. He started weightlifting and working out at the age of 35. He became an inspiration for the youth and others too.
- Won bronze medal for Mr World
- Won Mr India in 2013 and 2014
- Won Mr Asia in 2013
Prashant Salunkhe is one of the undoubted Indian bodybuilding champions. He won Mr India 2015 title by defeating Suhas Khamkar. In 2016, he also won Mumbai Shree and Jerrai Shree.
- Won Mr India 2015 title
- Won Mumbai Shree and Jerrai Shree
Thakur Anoop Singh
Thakur Anoop Singh is an Indian actor and bodybuilder. He is from Udaipur, Rajasthan. He has done Indian TV shows like ‘Mahabharata’.
- Won a gold medal at 7th WBPF World Bodybuilding Championship in Thailand in 2015
- Won a bronze medal at 49th Asian Championship in Uzbekistan in 2015
- Won a silver medal at Fit Factor-Mr India in 2015
Varinder Singh Ghuman
Varinder Singh Ghuman is from Punjab and is representing India as a professional bodybuilder and wrestler. He has been likened to Arnold Schwarzenegger for promoting his health products in Asia as a brand ambassador. He is the first Indian to secure an IFFB pro card. He has also acted in movies like ‘Kabaddi Once Again’ as a lead actor and in ‘Roar: Tigers Of Sundarbans’ in 2014.
- Won Mr India in 2009
- Bagged second place in Mr Asia competition
Yatinder Singh is from Saharanpur, UP. From an early age he started working on his physique because of being underweight. In college, he started focusing on bodybuilding and was trained in necessary physical exercise, with a combination of indoor and outdoor training, by his coach. These sessions began Singh’s bodybuilding career.
- Won silver medal in 7 World Body Building Championship
- Won the Physique Championship in 2015
- Won Mr India in 2016
. Read more on Sports by The Quint.RSS & BJP’s Nehru-Netaji ‘Cosplay’: Irony Dies a Thousand DeathsPostpaid Mobile Services Restored in J&K After Over 70 Days . Read more on Sports by The Quint.