Lionel Messi will get to decide his Barcelona future, regardless of when the star is contracted until.
Messi, 32, re-signed with the LaLiga champions two years ago, extending his contract until 2021.
But such extensions may not matter when it comes to arguably the world's best player.
TOP STORY – MESSI CAN LEAVE BARCELONA AT THE END OF ANY SEASON
Messi can choose to leave Barcelona at the conclusion of any campaign regardless of his contract, according to El Pais.
The Argentina superstar made his debut for the club in late 2004, and his future is seemingly in his own hands.
It remains to be seen when, or if, Messi decides to depart Camp Nou.
- Philippe Coutinho eventually left Barcelona for Bayern Munich on loan, but it could have been different for the playmaker. Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola rejected the chance to sign the 27-year-old, according to Marca.
- Left out of Juventus' Champions League squad, Mario Mandzukic is eyeing a January exit, according to Calciomercato.com. The striker was heavily linked with a move to Manchester United during the transfer window.
- Staying in Turin, Juventus could have signed Bayern Munich defender Jerome Boateng in the close season. Calciomercato.com reports Maurizio Sarri rejected a move for the centre-back.
- Ousmane Dembele was reportedly wanted by Paris Saint-Germain while they were in talks with Barcelona over a move for Neymar. But the attacker refused to leave because he is at his dream club at Barcelona, according to L'Equipe.
- Former Juventus midfielder Claudio Marchisio is reportedly in talks with Monaco, but the 55-time Italy international turned down a move to Scottish giants Rangers, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport.
- Left out of the England squad, Manchester City defender Kyle Walker is worried he has no international future under Gareth Southgate, the Daily Star reports.