'Resurgent' Hughes closing on international recall: Inverarity

Sydney, Oct 17 (ANI): Cricket Australia's selection chief John Inverarity has indicated that Phil Hughes is closing on an international recall, suggesting that the resurgent opener is now the next batsman in line to be included in the Test team.

The 23-year-old was dropped from Australia's Test side after scoring only 41 runs at 10.25 in two Tests against New Zealand last summer, but has since impressed the selection panel with his successful stint in the English county game with Worcestershire and the start of the domestic season with new team South Australia.

The chief selector said Hughes had been in line for recall, and added that he had greater plans for him, the Sydney Morning Herald reported.

Inverarity said he liked Shane Watson to play as opener or No. 3, but added: "If Michael Hussey or Ricky Ponting retired, and if we included Hughes, it could be Hughes at 3 and Watson at 4."

The Australian batting order will not change for the first Test against South Africa at the Gabba next month or for the immediate future, the paper said.

Inverarity is clearly impressed with the rejuvenated Hughes. The left-hander made 95 and 83 for the Redbacks on a challenging wicket in a Shield game at the Gabba a fortnight ago and, more recently, caught Inverarity's eye during the 37 he made in a one-dayer against Tasmania in Adelaide on Sunday, the paper added. (ANI)