Run machine Rohit Sharma struck his second century of the match to help India set South Africa a daunting victory target of 395 runs on the fourth day of the first test in Vizag.
South Africa was 11/1 when bad light ended play for the day, Ravindra Jadeja having trapped first-innings centurion Dean Elgar lbw for 2, after the home team had declared on 323/4.
Sharma followed up his 176 in the first innings with 127 in the second, hitting 10 fours and seven sixes in his 149-ball knock.
Here’s a look at all the records broken by him and his team-mates on Day 4 of the vizag Test.
Rohit’s Massive Feat
- Rohit Sharma has become the first batsman to register seven innings of 50-plus scores in succession, on Indian soil. Everton Weeks, Andy Flower and Rahul Dravid had recorded six consecutive innings of fifty-plus scores in India.
- Rohit, with 13 sixes in this Test, has established a record for most sixes in a Test match, eclipsing Wasim Akram's tally of twelve sixes vs Zimbabwe at Sheikhupura in 1996-97. Navjot Singh Sidhu had recorded eight sixes vs S.Lanka at Lucknow in 1993-94 - the previous Indian record.
- Rohit has become the first Indian batsman to be dismissed stumped in each innings of a Test match. Overall, 22 times such a feat has happened in Test annals. He is the first batsman to be stumped after scoring a hundred in each innings of a Test match.
- Rohit is the first batsman to record a hundred in each innings while opening the innings for the first time. For the first time a batsman has registered 300-plus (303) in a Test match while opening the innings for the first time.
- Rohit (176 & 127) is the second Indian opening batsman to register a century in each innings of a Test match. Sunil Gavaskar had achieved the feat three times twice vs West Indies and once vs Pakistan.
- Overall, Rohit is the sixth Indian batsman after Gavaskar (thrice), Dravid (twice), Vijay Hazare, Virat Kohli and Ajinkya Rahane to record the above feat. Rahane and Rohit have registered the feats against South Africa.
More From The Team
- The twenty seven sixes hit by India - 13 in the first innings and 14 in the second innings - is a record by a team in a Test match, eclipsing the 22 by New Zealand against Pakistan at Sharjah in 2014.
- Cheteshwar Pujara's 21st fifty in Tests is his fourth against South Africa.
- For the fifth time, Ravichandran Ashwin took seven wickets in a Test innings - twice against South Africa and once each against New Zealand, West Indies and Australia.
- Ashwin's top two bowling performances have been 7 for 59 against New Zealand at Indore in 2016-17 and 7 for 66 against South Africa at Nagpur in 2015-16.
. Read more on Cricket by The Quint.RSS & BJP’s Nehru-Netaji ‘Cosplay’: Irony Dies a Thousand DeathsLatest News: Cong Asks RBI to Raise PMC Bank Withdrawal Limit . Read more on Cricket by The Quint.