Ready to resume duty if govt promises security: MARD

Mumbai [India], Mar 23 (ANI): The Maharashtra Association of Resident Doctors (MARD) on Wednesday filed an affidavit in the Bombay High Court asserting that they are ready to resume their duties if the government assures them adequate security.

The Bombay High Court earlier in the day ordered the doctors on strike to resume their duties and give some time to the government for providing them proper security.

The High Court also ordered the state government to provide security at all government hospitals so that the doctors can work without fear.

The High Court ordered that no punitive action should be taken against the protesting doctors once they resume their duties.

The matter will be next heard after 15 days.

Meanwhile, Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has requested the resident doctors to withdraw their strike immediately and ensured them security.

"We will take strong legal action against those who attack doctors and will ensure security to the doctors," he said.

The strike by Maharashtra's doctors, who are protesting a spate of assaults on colleagues by patients' relatives, entered the fourth day today even as nearly 2,000 of them got expulsion notice a day ago.

The agitators said patients are usually accompanied by a large number of relatives, which puts pressure on them. They have demanded adequate security measures and a pass system, where not more than two relatives will be allowed to remain with a patient inside the ward.

Meanwhile, thousands of patients have been left to suffer and bear inconvenience at public hospitals due to the protest. (ANI)