New Delhi, Apr 6: All the four legislations related to the implementation of Goods and Services Tax (GST) were cleared by the Rajya Sabha today. While addressing the Upper House, Dr Subhash Chandra, Rajya Sabha MP and Chairman – Essel Group welcomed the GST, congratulating Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Finance Minister Arun Jaitley for not letting the GST to turn into a victim of partisan politics.
Compilation of his tweets on GST are as follows:
- I congratulate the govt, Prime Minister Shri @narendramodi ji and FM Shri @arunjaitley ji for bringing this historic GST bill
- Since independence we’ve been hearing from almost everyone that we need to work for welfare of common man and uplift the poor class
- 2000 years ago, India’s contribution to the world GDP was 32%, which came down to 4.2% in 1950
- In 1950 India’s share in world manufacturing went to as low as 1.7% & international trade during British regime fell from 20% to 1.4%
- We understand why this happened, because British wanted to rule us for a longer time and take our wealth to their country
- But 70 years after their exit have our economic conditions improved at the same rate as that of global standards?
- GDP in 1950 was 4.2% was reduced to 3.2% in 1980 and now in 2017 it has reached around 7.5%
- Manufacturing in 1950 was 1.7%, 3.2% in 1980, in 2015 it was 4% while global trade was 1.3% = 1950, 0.5% = 1980 & now 1.7%
- If we compare these statistics with the growth in India’s population then we see that since 1950 our growth has been negative
- From 2000-2015 India earned income of 2.23 trillion dollars, of which 81% wealth went to 10% of the population & 19% to the rest 90%
- Astonishingly, 58% wealth of the 154 lakh crore went to the top 1%, this clearly shows that poor became poorer and rich became richer
- GST is of course a great measure but it is just the first step, we need to do lot more to eradicate poverty from our country
- I also quoted Shri Rajiv Gandhi ji’s speech, which he made on 28 Dec 1985 during Congress Centenary celebrations
- राजीव जी में कहा था की इंदिरा जी ने ही उन्हें स्वयं कहा था की ओछापन और स्वार्थीपन ने समाज के मूल ढाँचे में दरार डाल दी है
- Smt. Indira Gandhi ji’s Bees Sutri karyakram was also a phenomenon as great as GST but the system failed her and also the revolutionary step
- We need to reduce the tax structure that will further motivate people in paying the taxes and govt can then do away with penal provisions
- Due to lack of Ease of Doing Business in our country there is lot of indirect tax that is born out of corruption, we should also address it
- In the time to come we need to think beyond GST, start a new taxation system & not just replicate the global ones
- Many leaders in the opposition candidly told me “मोदी काम तो ठीक कर रहा है, अगर वो कामयाब नहीं हुए तो कोई भी नहीं हो सकता”
- I’m thankful to Shri @naqvimukhtar and other parliamentarians for their encouragement in my first speech in Rajya Sabha.
Here is the full speech of Dr Subhash Chandra: