New Delhi, July 11 (ANI): Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh said Friday that files related to the January 31, 1948 assassination of Father of the Nation Mahatma Gandhi are safe, and also rubbished a CPI-M allegation that 1.56 lakh official files had been destroyed on the instructions of Prime MInister Narendra Modi.
In a suo-moto statement in the Rajya Sabha, Singh said that only 11,000 files had been destroyed on Prime Minister Modi's orders.
Earlier, CPI-M MP P Rajeev had alleged, on the basis of media reports, that 1.5 lakh files, including those relating to the assassination of Mahatma Gandhi, had been destroyed on the directions of Prime Minister Modi.
Singh said that 11,000 files destroyed to improve the work culture and hygiene and cleanliness of work place.
The Home Minister said 52 files, 67 exhibits and 11,186 papers related to the assassination of Mahatma Gandhi were safe in the national archives.
He also said that files related to former president Rajendra Prasad, former prime minister Lal Bahadur Shastri or British India's last Viceroy Lord Mountbatten were safe as well. (ANI)