Ahead of the bypoll in Dholpur, the Congress has demanded that the Election Commission shifts Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje's loyalists out of the constituency.
The Congress has demanded that PWD minister Yunus Khan, chairperson of Minority Development Council Sageer Ahmed and Officer on Special duty (OSD)in Chief Minister's Office Dhirendra Kamthan be shifted out of the constituency ahead of the bypoll on April 9.
ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE BYPOLLS IN DHOLPUR:
- Vasundhara Raje is known among the masses as the 'Maharani of Dholpur'. Her son Dushyant Singh, an MP, runs the Dholpur Palace. In the past, the Congress has won the constituency seven times as against four time by the BJP.
- Ahead of the bypoll, half of the Rajasthan cabinet along with BJP state president Ashok Parnami have been taking turns at camping in Dholpur and getting feedback from workers. The gates of Dholpur Palace have been left open to people to visit Vasundhara Raje and share their demands, grievances with her.
- On the other hand, state Congress president Sachin Pilot, former Rajasthan chief minister Ashok Gehlot and senior vice-president of Pradesh Congress Committee Vishvendra Singh along with other senior Congress leaders are also campaigning hard in Dholpur.
- The Congress has fielded veteran Banwari Lal Sharma, who has represented Dholpur in the past.
- The BJP has fielded Shobha Rani Kushwaha from Dholpur. Her husband B L Kushwaha had won the constituency in 2013 on a BSP ticket. His membership was terminated following a conviction in an honour killing case.
- Earlier, the Congress had successfully got the Election Commission to order shifting of B L Kushwaha from the Dholpur jail to another jail in Sriganganagar district.
- While a win for Vasundhara Raje will be read as a vote for her governance, a defeat will give her detractors to a chance to question her administrative skills.
- For the Congress too, a win will show that the party under Sachin Pilot can give a fight to the ruling BJP in the Assembly election due next year-end.