Raigad MIDC fire: Three succumb to injuries; three others in critical condition

An official from the factory site said they suspected a “gas leak” sparked the fire. (Representational Image)

A day after a blaze broke out at a building in Raigad’s Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation (MIDC), at least three labourers succumbed to their injuries Saturday. Of the 18 workers who were injured in the incident, three others are in a serious condition after suffering third-degree burns. The incident was caused after a testing exercise went “out of control”.

As per preliminary information, the incident occurred around 4 pm in the testing facility of Cryptzo Engineering Pvt Ltd at MIDC in Bhagad. The unit manufactures clean agent fire suppression system and had a stock of both raw materials used for dousing fire and materials used to spark one for assessing a fire extinguisher.

According to the police, a testing exercise at the unit reportedly went “out of control” leading to the fire and all 18 staff present in the demonstration room suffered injuries. An official from the factory site said they suspected a “gas leak” sparked the fire.

The injured were rushed to a rural hospital in Mangaon. Four of them were later shifted to MGM hospital in Panvel, while four others, who had suffered over 60 per cent burns and were serious, were shifted to National Burns Centre in Airoli, Navi Mumbai.

According to police, the unit was set up at Mangaon in 2015. The company website claims it conducts “quality testing, warehousing, procurement, production, sales and marketing” of fire suppressants. Krishna Kumar from the company’s sales team said the Raigad unit manufactures fire extinguishers and has a standard operating procedure for safe testing.

Raigad Superintendent of Police Anil Paraskar said they were waiting for the factory inspector’s enquiry report before registering an FIR in the case.