The newly-elected 312 BJP MLAs in Uttar Pradesh elected Yogi Adityanath as the next Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, a decision that brought the curtains down on the week-long suspense over who the BJP will choose for the post.
The 44-year-old firebrand Gorakhpur Member of Parliament pipped the other front-runners - Union Minister Manoj Sinha and state BJP chief Keshav Prasad Maurya - for the post.
The swearing-in of the next Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh will be held in Lucknow at 5 pm on Sunday.
HERE ARE THE LIVE UPDATES:
- News of Yogi Adityanath being chosen as CM designate for UP is based on sources; no official announcement yet.
- I am very happy with this decision. Issues like of corruption, law and order, women safety will be handled well by Yogi Adityanath. He is the right candidate and one who can handle every kind of challenge in UP, says BJP leader Uma Bharti.
- Supporters of Yogi Adityanath shout 'Yogi,Yogi' outside Lok Bhawan (Lucknow) where BJP MLAs meeting is underway.
- UP BJP's legislature party meeting about to start shortly. Sunil Bansal, Venkaiah Naidu and Apna Dal's Anupriya Patel along with her supporters have arrived at the meeting.
- BJP leaders Yogi Adityanath, Bhupendra Yadav, Om Mathur, KP Maurya and Sunil Bansal held a separate meeting, ahead of BJP MLAs' meet.
- Yogi Adityanath has reached the VVIP guest house, is meeting Venkaiah Naidu.
- BJP leaders Keshav Prasad Maurya, Kalraj Mishra and Apna Dal leader Anupriya Patel have reached VVIP Guest house.
- Manoj Sinha has returned to Varanasi after visiting Ghazipur. He is expected to fly back to Delhi by a commercial flight.
- Adityanath, the firebrand Member of Parliament from Gorakhpur in eastern Uttar Pradesh, is one of the names doing the rounds as the 32nd Chief Minister of the state.
- The Uttar Pradesh BJP chief Keshav Prasad Maurya is also in the national capital and met Amit Shah earlier today.
- Supporters of Adityanath and Maurya in Lucknow demonstrated in a show of strength, demanding their leader should be made the state Chief Minister.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Shah, among others, will attend the oath ceremony.
- "The names in the media reports are pure speculative. Today evening, we will be meeting the MLAs and then we will decide," Venkaiah Naidu told reporters in Lucknow.
- Union Communications Minister Manoj Sinha, who most are betting on, today visited many temples in Varanasi, Modi's Lok Sabha constituency.
- While the BJP has decided to swear in the next chief minister on Sunday at 5 pm, it has not yet announced who is going to occupy the chair.
Apart from Manoj Sinha, Home Minister and former state Chief Minister Rajnath Singh, Maurya and eight-time MLA from Shahjahanpur Suresh Khanna are also being projected as the main contenders for the post.