QChennai: Hearing of Apollo Docs Adjourned by Probe Panel & More

1. Hearing of Apollo Doctors Adjourned to 11 Feb by Jaya Probe Panel

The commission has rejected the demand by the counsel representing Apollo Hospitals to constitute a medical board.

The Justice A Arumughaswamy Commission adjourned the hearing of the 10 doctors and a technician from Apollo Hospitals in the Jayalalithaa death probe to 11 February. They had been called for re-examination by Sasikala’s counsel on 5 and 6 February.

Meanwhile, the date to issue summons to Deputy Chief Minister O Panneerselvam has still not been finalised, an official at the commission told. “Apollo Hospital had told the commission to go ahead with enquiring the non-medical witnesses, but the judge didn't agree to that. The commission is saying they will not serve summons now to OPS because the Budget session will now begin,” said the counsel representing Sasikala.

Read the full story here.

Also Read: ‘Jayalalithaa Did Not Want to Go Abroad’: Dr Richard Beale

2. If Sterlite Plant Closed for Water Pollution, Then Others Too Should Be Shut: Vedanta to SC

The people of Tuticorin have condemned the Sterlite Copper plant of polluting the groundwater and causing cancer.

The Vedanta Group on Tuesday told the Supreme Court that if the high level of water pollution was the ground for shutting down its Thoothukudi Copper smelting plant, then by that measure other industries too should face closure. Recalling the Tamil Nadu Pollution Control Board (TNPCB) argument that 500 TDS is a desirable level of water pollution and 2,000 TDS a permissible level, Vedanta told the bench that other industries should also face closure as groundwater pollution in the entire state is very high.

Vedanta said this to the court in the course of hearing of a plea by the Tamil Nadu government and the TNPCB, challenging 15 December 2018 National Green Tribunal's order.

(Source: Business Standard)

Also Read: Sterlite CEO on Tuticorin Violence: “We Had Nothing to Do With It”

3. Mason Gets Job After Double Hand Transplant

A man, who underwent a double hand transplant, the first-of-its-kind surgery, was posted as a ward manager under the Chief Minister’s Health Insurance Scheme.

A man, who underwent a double hand transplant, the first-of-its-kind surgery, at a government hospital in Tamil Nadu, was given a job appointment order by Chief Minister Edappadi K Palaniswami. The 29-year-old mason Narayanaswamy from Dindigul was posted as a ward manager under the Chief Minister’s Health Insurance Scheme.

In 2015, Narayanaswamy lost both hands after he accidentally suffered an electric shock. In February 2018, he underwent bilateral hand transplant at the Government Stanley Medical College Hospital where he received the hands of a young donor from Chennai, who died of head injuries sustained in a road accident. After a tedious 10-hour-long surgery, a team of doctors successfully transplanted the hands.

(Source: The New Indian Express)

Also Read: 1st Baby Born Using Uterus Transplanted from Deceased Donor

4. Union Budget Self-Serving, Legitimate Version of Money for Votes: Kamal Haasan

Describing the union Budget 2019-20 as “self-serving,” actor-politician Kamal Haasan tweeted saying it sounded in parts “like the legitimate version of money for votes.”

Describing the union budget 2019-20 as 'self-serving,' actor-politician Kamal Haasan tweeted saying it sounded in parts “like the legitimate version of money for votes.” The Makkal Needhi Maiam (MNM) president said the promises made to farmers “might look impressive” but that would amount to a “paltry sum,” when broken down to per diem.

Apparently referring to BJP as “the party in power,” he said, “While it may reap the benefits of this dole, what if the people choose another party in the coming Lok Sabha polls. Why would the new dispensation continue with these budgetary proposals which they are already critical of?” he asked.

(Source: Deccan Chronicle)

Also Read: Budget Session: LS Resumes, RS Adjourned For the Day Amid Ruckus

5. 7,324 Officials Will Face Action, DGP Tells Court

Madras High Court unearthed 2.14 lakh criminal cases in the state that were closed abruptly between 2009 and 2014.

No one would have expected that the hearing of a civil appeal filed by a knitting company in the Madras High Court would lead to the unearthing of 2.14 lakh criminal cases in the state that were closed abruptly between 2009 and 2014 for non-filing of final reports by the police and another 1.72 lakh cases pending before trial courts without being taken on file.

After Justice MV Muralidaran smelt a rat and dug out the details, the Home Secretary and the Director General of Police told the court on Tuesday that they had taken steps to initiate disciplinary action against the investigating officers by issuing show-cause notices to 7,324 officials, who failed to file final reports within the statutory period.

(Source: The Hindu)

. Read more on Politics by The Quint.RSS & BJP’s Nehru-Netaji ‘Cosplay’: Irony Dies a Thousand DeathsLatest News: Kamal Haasan to Contest Lok Sabha Elections Alone . Read more on Politics by The Quint.