Punjab Elections:Pargat wins from Jalandhar Cantt
Congress candidate and former Indian hockey captain Pargat Singh retained his Jalandhar Cantt seat by defeating Akali candidate Sarabjit Singh Makkar by 29,124 votes.
Pargat, an Olympian, polled 59,349 votes while SAD candidate got 30,225 votes.
AAP candidate Harkrishan Singh Walia got 25,912 votes.
Notably, Pargat had won 2012 assembly polls on SAD ticket. Last year, Pargat switched over to Congress after he raised a banner of revolt against the Akali Dal.
- PM Narendra Modi offers condolences to families of Sukma attack martyrs
- UP polls: Shivraj Singh Chouhan lauds PM Modi as BJP wins big
- Assembly election: 'Singh is King' as Captain wins Patiala seat
- UP Assembly polls defeat hurts, need hard decisions: Congress
- Early trends show Cong ahead of BJP in Manipur