Protesting Tamil Nadu farmers drink urine
Grabbing eyeballs with their novel way of protest, Tamil Nadu farmers on 22 April,drank urine in another desperate bid to draw the government's attention towards their plight.
Over the last 39 days, they have shaved half of their moustache and head, kept mice and snakes in their mouth, conducted mock funerals, flogged themselves and carried skulls of other farmers, who had committed suicide due to debt pressure.
The farmers, whose protest entered the 40th day today, drank urine even as police tried to stop them.
They have been demanding a loan waiver, a revised drought relief package and better support prices for their produce.
P Ayyakkannu, who is leading the protest, said: "The Union government is not giving us water. So we are consuming urine."
The protesters had yesterday said they would drink urine if the Centre failed to offer a solution to their problems within a day.
On April 10, they had stripped in front of the prime minister's office here to press for their demands.
- Delhi: Former Congress leader Barkha Singh Shukla joins BJP
- Donald Trump's Administration replaces Indian-American Surgeon General
- Huge amount of popular support for economic reforms: Arun Jaitley
- Jammu and Kashmir: 5 members of a family including 9-year-old girl attacked by cow vigilantes
- Afghan Army base attack death toll rises to 140