London, July 14(ANI): Pakistan-connected militant groups still operate despite international pressure after the 26/11 Mumbai attacks almost three years ago, Indian counter-terrorism officials and experts have said.
The comment comes after coordinated rush-hour explosions ripped through crowded Mumbai streets on Wednesday evening, killing at least 21 people and wounding over 130 others, in a gruesome echo of the meticulously planned November 2008 strike.
Testimony at a recent trial in the United States had revealed that officers of Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) had helped Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) fund and plan the maritime assault, which killed 166 people.
Initial reports indicate that the latest attack involved bombs planted in strategic locations, a recurring tactic used by Indian affiliates of LeT-the Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI) and the Indian Mujahideen.These groups still have the capacity to strike not just in Mumbai, but around the country," The Guardian quoted an Indian counter-terrorism official, as saying.
The official and other experts said that while the investigation has just begun it is likely that LeT played a direct or supporting role in yesterday's attack.
"That whole crew from the 2008 Mumbai attacks is still sitting there," said Praveen Swami, a journalist at The Hindu newspaper and national security analyst.
"They haven't done anything big since then. This could be a testing of the waters. It's worth remembering that there were a number of smaller attacks in the buildup to Mumbai," he added. (ANI)