Prime Minister Narendra Modi has a packed schedule on Day 2 of his Gujarat visit. The prime minister inaugurated a slew of projects in Surat today. This is PM Modi's first visit to Surat, the hub of Patidar agitation for reservation in government jobs and educational institutions, after assuming the office in 2014.
On Sunday (April 16), Prime Minister Modi sounded the poll bugle in his home state conducting a massive roadshow in Surat Gujarat is due for Assembly elections later this year.
HERE'S ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- PM Modi inaugurated Kiran Multi Super Speciality Hospital and Research Centre, built by a private trust in Surat.
- He would then go to Hira Bourse SEZ at Icchapur in the district to inaugurate a diamond polishing unit of Hari Krishna Export Private Limited.
- From there, the Prime Minister will go to Bajipura village in Tapi district to inaugurate a cattle feed plant and ice-cream plant of Sumul Dairy, and lay foundation stone for dairy products plant at Nava Pardi.
- He will also address a large gathering there. The state BJP unit claims that more than four lakh persons, including three lakh women from tribal-dominated areas, would attend the gathering.
- Modi will then visit Silvassa town in the Union Territory of Dadra and Nagar Haveli, where he will address a gathering apart from inaugurating a few projects.
- Prime Minister Modi, on Sunday, led a 11 km roadshow in Surat, a Patel community stronghold, where he was accorded a rousing reception.
- A large number of people, waving the tricolour, and chanting "Modi! Modi!" and "Bharat Mata Ki Jai", stood along the road illuminated with lights of different colours as the prime minister acknowledged greetings from the cheering crowd by waving to them while standing through the open sunroof of an SUV for almost two hours.
- PM Modi's convoy was led by 50,000 youths, including women, on 25,000 bikes. A 22-feet tall cutout of Modi was also installed near the airport.
- Apart from the 3D laser shows at regular intervals and colourful LED light decoration, an 11 km-long saree with names of various government schemes printed on it was also tied along the route.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will fly back to New Delhi later in the evening today.
(With inputs from PTI)
WATCH: PM Narendra Modi gets grand welcome in Surat ALSO READ: