Although The Masked Singer's season 3 premiered on Feb. 2, fans have had to wait weeks to meet some of the costumed celebrities, given the show's new group format. On Feb. 19, fans were introduced to the Group B members, which include the highly anticipated Taco.
The tasty costume was teased via Twitter on Jan. 28 with a partial photo and caption that read, "let's taco 'bout what mask this is."
The full costume was revealed on Twitter later that day, and it was just as impressive as fans thought it would be.
Who is the Taco on The Masked Singer?
Initially, fans thought that LeBron James was hiding beneath the shell (and lettuce, and tomatoes, and cheese). This wasn't a terrible guess, given that James, a star basketball player for the Los Angeles Lakers, has declared his love for tacos many times via social media posts. Heck, James even tried to trademark Taco Tuesday in late 2019, but was denied because, as ESPN reported, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office deems Taco Tuesday a "commonplace term."
But, after three weeks of performances, the Taco was eliminated from the competition. Although this was a tad devestating (I mean, did you hear him sing?!) it meant that we finally learned the Taco's true identity, which was comedian and Dancing With the Stars host Tom Bergeron.
Fans were quick to think actor Bob Saget was beneath the shell, and it made sense, as the two have a lot in common. But when you look back on the long list of the clues, you'll realize the signs were pointing to Bergeron on along.
- A comment in the Feb. 19 clue package about having "been a comforting part of your lives for decades." This was likely a reference to Bergeron being in the entertainment business since the '80s. Of course, he became more mainstream in the late '90s when he became the host of Hollywood Square
- There was a trolley in the Feb. 19 clue, which was a nod to a song Bergeron recorded on the Mr. Rogers tribute album, "Thank You Mr. Rogers."
- The Feb. 19 package paused on a stack of VHS tapes, which an ode to Bergeron's stint as host of America's Funniest Home Videos.
- The Feb. 26 package Taco talked about meeting the most stunning taco in the galaxy, before the camera zoomed in on the Gemini zodiac sign. This was likley a nod to Bergeron's wife Lois, who was born on June 5, which falls under the Gemini date range.
- The March 4 package highlighted the letters "ME" in the word menu, signifying Bergeron's 2012 Emmy for Outstanding Host for a Reality or Competition Program.
- The March 4 package also featured baked beans, an ode to Bergeron's hometown of Boston, MA.
- On the March 4 episode, Taco gifted judge Nicole Scherzinger with a friendship bracelet that read "KISS." After being revealed, Bergeron clarified that the "KISS" was referencing the song used in Scherzinger's first perfect score during her 2010 appearance on DWTS.
Upon removing his mask, Bergeron exclaimed that "this was the most work I've done in years," and he's not wrong. Belting out jaw-dropping tunes while hiding beneath a taco suit is no easy feat. And although we are sad to see him go, we can't wait to see what's next for Bergeron.
You Might Also Like