Ashes 2017: Mitchell Starc Wants Australian Fans to ‘Get Stuck Into’ Ben Stokes
Australian cricketers have lost A$1.2 million in salaries in the first fortnight of going off-contract in their pay dispute with Cricket Australia.
The players went off contract after Cricket Australia and the Australia Cricketers’ Association (ACA) failed to come to a negotiated term regarding the pay dispute.
The players’ contracts lapsed at the end of June and since then their agents have been at-work sourcing new individual sponsorship deals.
It was revealed this week that fast bowler Mitchell Starc and batsman Usman Khawaja had found sponsorships with car manufacturers. These were different sponsors to Toyota, the vehicle sponsor of Cricket Australia.
Starc has signed up with car manufacturing company Audi. Audi is a rival to Toyota, the official car company of the Cricket Australia. Batsman Usman Khawaja has also struck a similar deal.
CA Chief James Sutherland is confident of coming to terms with the players sometime soon in the near future. However, the players believe that a lot of work still needs to be done in regard to their contracts.
Sutherland has been having intense discussions with ACA Chief Alistair Nicholson.
Nicholson said on Saturday there needed to be greater urgency in negotiations, given players have been unemployed for a fortnight.
“The increased involvement of CA CEO James Sutherland has been pleasing. A better understanding has been established on both parties’ positions,” he said.