Passengers Safe After Spicejet Aircraft Hits Runway Lights at Bengaluru Airport
New Delhi, December 6: A 70-year-old man died mid-air during a flight after his denture and lower jaw got dislodged and got stuck in the back of his throat, choking his windpipe. The incident took place on the Mumbai-Amritsar SpiceJet flight SG 438 which was diverted to Delhi’s Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA).
The passenger was rushed to a clinic at the airport but could not survive, a report in the Hindustan Times read. “Due to a blocked airway, the passenger couldn’t breathe. His body had turned blue depicting lack of oxygen,” said Dr Prabhanjan Shakunt, medical officer, Medanta’s airport clinic.
The incident happened on November 30 on the flight that had 176 passengers on board. The passenger, a native of Jalandhar, was travelling with his wife and son, police said.
“The fight landed at T-1 in a medical emergency. Medanta Hospital gave him first aid but he could not survive. We have initiated the inquest proceeding,” DCP (airport) Sanjay Bhatia said.
The passenger also suffered from co-morbid conditions such as hypertension, diabetes and half of his body was already paralysed, the doctor said. “When he was brought to us, his tongue was already blue and his heart had stopped. Two doctors on board had already given him cardio pulmonary resuscitation (CPR), which didn’t work. We also performed CPR for about an hour after he came to us but to no avail,” Shakunt added.
After the passenger and his relatives deboarded the flight, it again took off for Amritsar.
“SG 438 had experienced a medical emergency during cruise. The patient was attended by cabin crew and passenger doctors. Considering the condition of the patient and as advised by the passenger doctors, the crew diverted to Delhi. After landing, the patient was attended by doctor and ambulance and was escorted, along with family members to Medanta clinic,” said a SpiceJet spokesperson.