Operation All Out: Most number of top militant commanders killed in South Kashmir, reveals data
According to data, Operation All Out has been successful in Kashmir, with most number of terrorists killed in North Kashmir while most number of militant commanders have been killed in South Kashmir.
Security forces on Monday gunned down three Lashkar terrorist suspected to be from Pakistan in an overnight encounter in North Kashmir taking the total number of terrorists killed in North Kashmir to 111.
The security forces even tried to capture third militant alive but he succumbed to injuries. With this maximum kills took place in North Kashmir. Most number of terrorists killed has been reported from Kupwara with 49 terrorist killed, followed by 40 in Handwara and 22 in Bandipora.
However South Kashmir remained the hub for local terrorists. The total figure of number of terrorists killed stands at 210.
Through Operation All Out, the security forces also strategised to go for top commanders in South Kashmir.
The list of top commanders killed in South Kashmir goes as follows:
- Sabzar Ahmed Bhat - HM Commander killed by security forces in Tral on 27 May 2017
- Junaid Mattoo - Lashkar-e-Taiba commander killed in Arwani village in Anantnag on June 16
- Bashir Lashkari - He was the mastermind behind the gruesome killing of six Jammu and Kashmir policemen including SHO Firoz Ahmed Dar in June. There was a bounty of Rs 10 lakh on his head and he was killed on 1 July
- Abu Dujana - A former Lashkar terrorist who exited to join hands with Zakir Musa led Gazwat Ul Hind was killed in Anantnag on 1 August
- Yasin Yattu - alias Mehmood Gaznavi was killed with two other associates in Awneera village in Shopian district
- Yawar Bashir Wani - District commander Anantnag and Kulgam was killed in Kulgam district on 4 December
- Fukran - Pakistani Lashkar terrorist, replacement of Abu Ismail in South Kashmir was killed along side Yawar in Quazigund
Top Terror operatives killed in North Kashmir:
- Abu Haris - the Lashkar-e-Toiba militant was killed in north Kashmir's Hajin area of Bandipora that resulted in heavy casualty in which three soldiers were also killed. Chetan Cheetah brave CRPF Commadant also received 9 bullet injuries in the encounter
- Khalid - On 9 October, this top Jaish terrorist was gunned down by security forces in Baramulla
- Mahmood Bhai Lashkar - He was killed on 18 November in Bandipora
- Muzamil - Top LET divisional commander who was killed on 30 November in Baramulla.
At least three of the most crucial terrorists were killed in North Kashmir in the last quarter of the year.
- Sajad Ahmed Gilkar - He played a key role in the murder of DSP Muhammad Ayub Pandith and was killed in July this year
- Abu Ismail - The top Laskhar Commander and mastermind of Amarnath Yatra attack was killed on 14 September in Srinagar in Central Kashmir
The least number of encounters took place in Central Kashmir with over 20 terrorists reported dead. Jammu however largely remained peaceful with a total 5 terrorist killed in operations.
Data also suggests that North Kashmir is the infiltration route for Pakistani terrorist, with over 70 per cent of the operations taking place near the Line Of Control (LoC). The maximum infiltration attempts take place in the months of May and June.
According to data accessed by India Today, South Kashmir remained the stronghold of local militants. However, the security forces successfully turned the situation around. By December, the security forces have already killed 210 militants.
In South Kashmir, Pulwama remained the hotbed of encounters with 36 terrorists reported dead. This followed by Anantnag where 15 terrorist were killed.
The last encounter was reported from Quazigund where three laskhar terrorist, 2 foreigners and one local commander was killed. The security forces changed status quo in Kulgam and Shopian which earlier reported least encounters. Areas were identified and operations successfully carried by elimination of 14 terrorist in Kulgam and 8 in Shopian.