Now Spouses Of Native J&K Women Married Outside Union Territory Can Get Domicile Certificates As UT Govt Amends Rules

·1-min read

In a big development, the Jammu and Kashmir administration has amended the domicile rules to issue domicile certificates to spouses of native women married outside the Union Territory.

In an order dated 20 July, the J&K government has removed the last hurdle for issuance of domicile certificates to non-state subject husband of a native woman.

The new amendments made it clear that 'spouse' covers both men and women, meaning both men married outside, or women married outside, could henceforth get domicile on the basis of the domicile of their partner, reports Times of India.

The order issued by the J&K General Administration Department Commissioner Manoj Dwivedi stated that the documents required for the issuance of a domicile certificate were (a) Domicile certificate of the spouse and (b) valid proof of marriage.

The competent authority for issuance of the domicile certificate will be Tehsildar, according to the order.

It should be noted that the restriction upon the issuance of permanent resident cards (PRCs) to the spouses of all PRC women married outside the UT had been continuing for a long time.

According to the report, this had created a situation in which a PRC man married outside could confer PRC on his wife while the girl who got married outside the UT loses all rights.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting