‘Not Pressing Charges,’ Says Arnold Schwarzenegger After Assault

Actor Arnold Schwarzenegger on Monday, 20 May, confirmed that he won’t be pressing any charges against the man who assaulted him during a public appearance in South Africa on Saturday.

“A lot of you have asked, but I am not pressing charges. I hope this was a wake-up call, and he gets his life on the right track. I am moving on and I’d rather focus on the thousands of great athletes I met,” Schwarzenegger wrote in a tweet.

The 71-year-old actor was assaulted during a public appearance in South Africa on Saturday, but he quickly recovered and said, "I'm just glad the idiot didn't interrupt my Snapchat."

Also Read: Arnold Schwarzenegger Looks Fierce in ‘Terminator Dark Fate’ 

The video of the incident shows the former California governor standing and filming children at a sporting event in Johannesburg when a man makes a flying kick into his back. Schwarzenegger stumbles forward. The man is quickly grabbed by security. Off camera a man shouts several times "Help me!"

The video shortly afterward shows Schwarzenegger smiling and shaking hands with bystanders before walking out ringed by security.

Schwarzenegger later posted on Twitter: "Thanks for your concerns, but there is nothing to worry about. I thought I was just jostled by the crowd, which happens a lot. I only realised I was kicked when I saw the video like all of you. I'm just glad the idiot didn't interrupt my Snapchat."

Also Read: Arnold Schwarzenegger praises Fiji's environment leadership

Schwarzenegger also tweeted a second video of the incident "without whatever he was yelling so he doesn't get the spotlight."

"By the way..." he joked, "block or charge?"

Schwarzenegger had been attending his Arnold Classic Africa event, which features dozens of sports and fitness activities. In a separate Twitter post, the event blamed a "crazed fan" for the assault.

Also Read: Chris Pratt Engaged to Arnold’s Daughter Katherine Schwarzenegger 

The statement cited organiser Wayne Price as saying the assailant was "known to the police for orchestrating similar incidents in the past" and that Schwarzenegger was "fine and still in good spirits."

The actor confirmed he had no intention of pursuing charges, the statement said.

(With inputs from the Associated Press)

. Read more on World by The Quint.RSS & BJP’s Nehru-Netaji ‘Cosplay’: Irony Dies a Thousand DeathsLatest News: 6 Arrested in Lanka Over Links to Extremist Group . Read more on World by The Quint.