North Korea Threatens US Again, Says Nuclear War May Break Out Any Moment
New Delhi, Oct 17: Tensions between the United States and North Korea have escalated further with a top Pyongyang diplomat threatening of nuclear war.
Speaking at the UN, North Korea’s Deputy Ambassador Kim In Ryong said that his country would not consider dismantling its nuclear weapons till the time US reverses its “hostile” policy.
“Unless the hostile policy and the nuclear threat of the US is thoroughly eradicated, we will never put our nuclear weapons and ballistic rockets on the negotiation table under any circumstance,” Kim In Ryong told UN General Assembly’s committee on disarmament.
“Situation (in the Korean peninsula) has reached the touch-and-go point and a nuclear war may break out any moment,” he threatened.
North Korea’s threat has come just hours after US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson sought to water down the heightened tensions between the two nations, saying “US diplomacy would continue until the first bomb drops.”
Tillerson said President Trump has always stressed on solving the nuclear testing issue of North Korea diplomatically. (Also Read: Military Action Against North Korea Not Inevitable: Donald Trump)
“The president has also made clear to me that he wants this solved diplomatically.. He is not seeking to go to war,” he told CNN.
Tillerson’s statement was in sharp contrast to what US President Donald Trump had said a few days ago.
Last week, Donald Trump, in a series of tweets, said that America’s diplomacy with regard to North Korea has failed and that “only one thing will work”, triggering speculations that the US President was preparing to launch a military assault on North Korea.
“Presidents and their administrations have been talking to North Korea for 25 years, agreements made and massive amounts of money paid,” Trump tweeted.
“Hasn’t worked, agreements violated before the ink was dry, makings fools of US negotiators. Sorry, but only one thing will work!” the mercurial leader added.