The Metro Hospital and Heart Institute in Noida where a fire broke out on Thursday, 7 February, was functioning without a licence, reported India Today.
The fire license had expired five months ago, officials said. According to NDTV, Gautam Budh Nagar Chief Fire Officer (CFO) Arun Kumar Singh told PTI, “The hospital authorities had got a license from the fire department in March 2017, but they did not get it renewed for over five months.”
A fire department official said that the Noida fire department will take action against the hospital for their “failure” in getting their licence renewed.
"We will send a report on the lapses on the part of the hospital to the director general for necessary action in the case," he said.
The official also said that the cause of the fire was a short circuit in the water heater inside the recovery area of the hospital.
Gautam Buddh Nagar District Magistrate BN Singh said that there were more than 60 people inside the hospital when the fire broke out, but everyone was safe.
"More than 40 patients have been shifted to Metro's another hospital," Singh added. Ten fire tenders had reached the spot to douse the fire and had managed to bring the situation under control.
(With inputs from India Today and NDTV)
. Read more on India by The Quint.RSS & BJP’s Nehru-Netaji ‘Cosplay’: Irony Dies a Thousand DeathsGujjars’ Quota Protest on Rail Tracks in Rajasthan Affects Trains . Read more on India by The Quint.