No proposal received by Centre to ban Sanathan Sanstha or Hindu Janajagruti Samiti: MHA
The Union Home Ministry on Tuesday informed thr Parliament that it had not received any proposal from the state or agencies to ban right wing organisations Sanathan Sanstha or Hindu Janajagruti Samiti.
This was stated by Minister of State (MoS) for Home G Kishan Reddy in a response to a question from fiery Member of Parliament (MP) Asaduddin Owaisi.
G Kishan Reddy said, "No proposal to ban outfits has been received by the Centre."
Asaduddin Owaisi had asked if Centre proposes to ban such outfits in the interest of the nation to safeguard the unity and integrity of the country.
Sanatan Sanstha is a radical Hindu outfit allegedly linked to the murders of rationalists, thinkers and activists.
This is in sharp contrast to a statement of Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis who had informed the Maharashtra assembly in December last year that there was indeed "a proposal to ban Sanatan Sanstha sent by the earlier state government and it is pending before the central government".
Persons owing allegiance to Sanatan Sanstha have been arrested in four bombings in Vashi, Thane, Panvel (all in 2007) and Goa (in 2009) and in the murders of Narendra Dabholkar (in 2013), Govind Pansare and MM Kalburgi (both in 2015).
There have been several voices seeking a ban from the government on the Hindu right wing organisation Sanatan Sanstha.
Since then, alleged members of the group have been named in or linked to various incidents including the killings of rationalist Dr Narendra Dabholkar, Kannada scholar MM Kalburgi, senior Communist leader Govind Pansare and journalist Gauri Lankesh.
But investigations in these cases are still in progress, and there is no concrete evidence yet to prove the culpability of Sanatan Sanstha as an organisation in these crimes.
An Advocate was arrested in the murder case of rationalist Narendra Dabholkar and an ENT surgeon and a member of the Hindu Janajagruti Samiti which is related to the right wing organisation Sanatan Sanstha, was arrested in the Dabholkar murder case on June 10, 2016.
A former convenor of the Sanatan Sanstha-affiliated Hindu Janajagruti Samiti was recently taken into custody in Dharwad in connection with the MM Kalburgi case.
Sources said that while the then United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government developed cold feet while a proposal to ban the organisation, sent by state of Maharasthra, was put before it while the MHA has now denied any such proposal before it.