Nirbhaya anniversary: A timeline of the gangrape case that shook India's soul

1 / 1

Nirbhaya anniversary: A timeline of the gangrape case that shook India's soul

On December 16, 2012, Nirbhaya, 23-year-old physiotherapist inter, was brutally gangraped in a moving bus in Delhi.

Today, 5 years back on a cold winter night, a horrifying crime was committed which shook the world.

On December 16, 2012, Nirbhaya and her male friend had just stepped out of a movie theatre in South Delhi and were looking for an auto rickshaw to get back home in Dwarka, when an off-duty chartered bus stopped in front of them and offered to give them a ride.

Apart from Nirbhaya, 23-year-old physiotherapist intern and her friend, Awindra Pratap Pandey, the bus was carrying six male occupants including the driver. Few minutes in, and soon the bus moved to an off route.

When objected, Awindra was hushed away. That's when the two realised something was wrong. With the bus doors locked, a fight broke down between Nirbhaya's friend and the drunk men who started to molest her.

Hit by iron rode, Awindra lay unconscious as the six men dragged helpless Nirbhaya to the back of the bus and raped her one by one. As she fought back, her attackers wounded her physically. As she kept fighting off her assailants by biting them, one of the attackers inserted a rusted rode in her private part, ripping her genital organs and insides apart.

Naked, bruised and severely bleeding, Nirbhaya and her unconscious friend were then thrown out off the moving bus in the night. In an attempt to kill her, the attackers even tried to run her over but her friend pulled her towards the pavement.

Half dead and in pain, the two were later found and taken to Safdarjung Hospital, where they were given emergency treatment.

According to medical and police reports, Nirbhaya had several bite marks on her body while her intestines, genitals and uterus were gravely damaged. 11 days after the assault, Nirbhaya was transferred to a hospital in Singapore where she died from her injuries two days later.

All the accused were soon arrested and charged with sexual assault and murder. The juvenile was given the maximum sentence of three years and was sent to a reform facility. He was later released, while Ram Singh, the bus driver, committed suicide in Tihar Jail during trial.

On September 10, 2013, the remaining four convicts were found guilty of rape and murder. Three days later, they were sentenced to death by hanging.